[tex-hyphen] Google Books corpus

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Jul 12 18:41:45 CEST 2011

schrieb Aleks Kleyn:

> Few words about Google errors mentioned bellow. As far as understand
> they restored text from scanned image. This is artificial
> intelligence, the field which evolves slowly.

While OCR in general is a hard problem, those 'typical errors' I
referred to can very well be tackled by a dictionary approach.  In the
German language a word cannot start with 'ß'.  So a words starting with
that letter has a high probability of being an erroneous match and can
automatically be fed into a dictionary assisted recognition stage.  The
same is true for words starting with exactly two capital letters 'AV'.

Note, I'm only speaking of the simple cases where the rest of the word
is already spelled correctly.  The presence of such typical errors
indicates Google (so far) doesn't use a dictionary to decrease the error
rate.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig