[tex-hyphen] ptex-specific patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 31 17:47:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 17:41, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> This means that you *will* get the right hyphenation patterns if you
>> input them with ^^ab^^cd, even if 0xABCD represents a valid Japanese
>> character. I have just tried it out.
>
>  So you want to read “šč” in UTF-8 and output the 8 bytes values
> “^^b2^^a3” in ASCII

Exactly.

>, in order for pTeX to reinterpret them as 8-bit
> character codes? Will that even work?

You mean - will it work as "is that even doable" or as "will the
resulting patterns be usable"?

The patterns seem to be written to format (and words seems to
hyphenate properly), so the answer to the second question would be
"yes". I hope that the answer to the first one is also "yes", but I
don't have time to implement it today. But once we have the code, it
should take something like half an hour to rewrite the loaders and
test if it only works in theory or also in practice.