[tex-hyphen] ptex-specific patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 29 21:18:12 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 20:46, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> The next step that I have tried was to treat the engine as 8-bit and
> thus running both
>    \input conv-utf8-ec.tex
>    \input hyph-sl.tex
> and then the format generation worked properly. However I have no idea
> whether the final result was 100% compatible with loading the other
> formats.

What I wanted to say was: maybe we only need to recognize pTeX as an
8-bit engine and then all the patterns will work properly.

The following trick works for platex (and probably fails for ptex, but
ptex currently doesn't load any extra patterns):

\newif\ifutfeightengine \utfeightenginefalse
\def\testengine#1#2!{\def\secondarg{#2}}
\testengine Τ!\relax
\ifx\secondarg\empty
    \utfeightenginetrue
    \expandafter\ifx\csname pfmtversion\endcsname\relax
        \utfeightenginefalse
    \fi
\fi

\ifutfeightengine
    \message{UTF-8 Slovenian Hyphenation Patterns}
\else
    \message{EC Slovenian Hyphenation Patterns}
    \input conv-utf8-ec.tex
\fi
\input hyph-sl.tex

If anyone can tell me if it makes it compatible with the current
solution, we can easily change the loaders (once the current version
with LuaTeX support makes it into TL).