[tex-hyphen] German patterns in TL2010

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu May 27 01:25:05 CEST 2010

Am 26.05.2010 18:12, schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

> But it's already the case, isn't it? I mean, it has nothing to do with the new
> luatex loading system?

That is correct.  But we don't release frequently.  For this year's TL
there won't be a new release.

>> For TeX Live 2010, I hope we can agree on the following goals:
>>
>>     * XeTeX
>>         No change.  Load experimental patterns, by default.  Make them
>>         available as traditional languages 'german' and 'ngerman'.
>>
> Agreed. Though, since the language.dat file is shared by all engines, they will
> also be available as german-x-latest and ngerman-x-latest (without the languages
> being properly defined as synonyms, they will end up loading the same patterns).

They can't be synonyms.  For 8-bit engines conventional as well as
experimental patterns need to be available.

>>     * LuaTeX:
>>         Load experimental patterns from new language.dat.lua, by default.
>>         Make them available as traditional languages 'german' and
>>         'ngerman'.
>>
> We can easily make the situation the same as for XeTeX, which is the best
> solution now IMO. In the entries for (n)german-x, I can just add txthyph nd
> txtpatt fields, so that the plain text version from hyph-utf8 is used. That way,
> german-x-latest will be available under the three engines and mean the same thing.
>
> Or...
>
>>       The question is, whether there should be an entry for languages
>>       'german-x-<date>' etc.  I'd say no and I'll emphasize in our
>>       documentation, that package dehyph-exptl is not required for
>>       LuaTeX (and XeTeX).
>>
> we can desactivate (n)german-x-* in LuaTeX. (Note that in the current state of
> things, we're not desactivating it for XeTeX.)
 >
> Well, your choice. Here, as a co-author of luatex-hyphen, and as a TL developer,
> my goal is only to provide solutions (and possibly advice about how they can be
> used), but the decision is yours.

Hm, I think I had written this for a reason (other than memory
considerations), but I can't remember any more.  OK, let's have pointing
[n]german-x-2009-06-19 with synonym [n]german-x-latest to the
experimental patterns in all engines.  Seems a bit easier to grasp when
looking at it in a couple of months again. :)

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

(off for about a week)