[tex-hyphen] weighting hyphenation points

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue May 25 14:01:54 CEST 2010

Am 25.05.2010 12:35, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>>
>>>      A) word compounds  - penalty -20 (e.g.)
>>
>> Don't negative penalties encourage line breaks?  No hyphenation is still
>> better than compound word hyphenation, no?
>
> Yes, but all word compounds are also in the regular patterns, which
> raises their penalties values to above zero.

Oh, missed that!  Didn't I write, interdependency makes it more
difficult? ;-)

But my concern with hyphenation penalty cumulation is another one.
Since TeX does just penalty cumulation during paragraph breaking, too,
there can be interaction between hyphenations penalties across different
words of a paragraph, that, summing-up, can steer paragraph breaking
into the wrong direction (inferior solution).  But as I said, I cannot
give an example right now.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig