[tex-hyphen] weighting hyphenation points

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue May 25 12:17:30 CEST 2010

Am 20.05.2010 12:06, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>>
>> That results in the following hyphenation weights:
>>
>>    Text -20- il -0- lus -10- tra -15- ti -5- on
>>    Tal -20- ent -0- wäs -10- se -15- rung
>>

> My implementation plan for luatex 0.70 is to attach fixed penalty
> values to each of the A-E pattern types. The cumulation of these
> penalties are then stored inside the generated discretionaries.

Cumulating values has the nice advantage that it doesn't require any
conflict resolution.  On the other hand, it makes it even harder to find
proper penalties for different hyphenation classes, since cumulation
introduces an interdependency between penalties.  I think, this can
result in inferior paragraph breaking (but can give no example right
now).  I have to think about this again.

> So no 'weights', but actual TeX-style penalties.

Sure, I just wanted to get the broad idea across.  Typically, one
weights different goals against each other and then maximises the
overall gain.  TeX, standing knee-deep in water, does misery
minimization. ;-)

>     A) word compounds  - penalty -20 (e.g.)

Don't negative penalties encourage line breaks?  No hyphenation is still
better than compound word hyphenation, no?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig