[tex-hyphen] German patterns in TL2010

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Mon May 24 19:48:32 CEST 2010

Am 24.05.2010 18:33, schrieb Stephan Hennig:

> What does that mean for German patterns?  Not much, fortunately:

As for Swiss-German patterns, activating them in language.dat and
language.lua.dat seems ok to me.  The reason we haven't requested
activation so far is lacking support in both, Babel and Polyglossia.

The language name 'swissgerman' sounds good to me.  Mathias Nater has
lobbied us to use the term (deutsch-)schweizerisch (German-Swiss) in the
manual, but that is referring to the multi-lingual nature of a national
state, rather than one language and the variations thereof, I fear:

   German-Swiss: concerning the language of Swiss people speaking the
     German language (in contrast to Italian-Swiss or French-Swiss)

   Swiss-German: concerning the Swiss variant of Standard German (in
     contrast to Standard German or the Austrian variant of Standard
     German)

I'd prefer 'swissgerman' for the language name.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig