[tex-hyphen] luatex-hyphen & TL

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 22 15:17:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 01:11, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> % hyphen-french.tlpsrc
> category TLCore
> execute AddHyphen name=french synonyms=patois,francais \
>  lefthyphenmin=2 righthyphenmin=3 file=loadhyph-fr.tex \
>  txtpatt=hyph-fr.pat.txt txthyph=hyph-fr.hyp.txt
>
> % hyphen-ancientgreek.tlpsrc
> category TLCore
> execute AddHyphen name=ancientgreek lefthyphenmin=1 righthyphenmin=1 \
>  file=loadhyph-grc.tex txtpatt=hyph-grc.pat.txt txthyph=hyph-grc.pat.txt

> execute AddHyphen name=ibycus lefthyphenmin=2 righthyphenmin=2 \
>  file=ibyhyph.tex luaspecial="disabled:only usable in 8bit engines"
> runpattern f texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ibyhyph.tex
> runpattern f texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/grahyph5.tex

This is really ugly to me.

First of all: if you decide to generate the database with help of TL
tools, you may simply leave ibycus and others out completely - you
don't need to worry that "maybe language.dat contains some other
patterns that you need to handle".

Second: Karl has already objected to that in past, but in case that
you do generate luatex-specific language.dat.lua, instead of
luaspecial="disabled:only usable in 8bit engines", I would much prefer
to have something like
    enable8bit=true,enableutf=false
and for indic scripts
    enable8bit=false,enableutf=true
then you could just as well generate two language.dat files: one for
8bit engines and one for XeTeX. And even if not: the syntax would be
much more clean.

Third: what's your plan with updates for german dated patterns then?
(One would need to update their package to include the plain text
patterns.)

Something else. Since you are extending the syntax: would it be
possible to add some comment. For example:
    comment="something that we would like to see in comments in language.dat"
which would generate
    % something that we would like to see in comments in language.dat
and
    -- something that we would like to see in comments in language.dat
in language.dat and language.dat.lua before the language entry.

> % hyphen-farsi.tlpsrc
> Category TLCore
> execute AddHyphen name=farsi synonyms=persian lefthyphenmin= righthyphenmin= \
>  file=zerohyph.tex luaspecial="null"
>
> Hope it's ok. Basically, you just add txtpatt and txthyph if the corresponding
> files exist, or luaspecial = "null" or "disabled: <reason>" otherwise.

Can we please move the <reason> to a special field?

> Feel free to ask if more details are needed.

I'll be most probably back on Monday.