[tex-hyphen] hyphenmins in latex formats

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 22:25:02 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:32, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>    - If the limits were set in the usual way before loading patterns,
>    they would set upper limit on the values that are possible to use
>
> I don't understand.
>
> As far as I know, the current values for \lefthyphenmin and
> \righthyphenmin are used at line-breaking time (\par).  They can be
> reset at any time.  I've never seen any concept of a format definition
> setting an "upper limit".
>
> They aren't used by \patterns at all.  As far as I can see from tex.web.

I'm sorry. I mixed up things. I wanted to say "lower limit", but maybe
that's done during pattern generation, not during pattern loading.
(From what I've heard setting righthyphenmin=5 during patgen run will
generate patterns that won't allow less than 5 characters to be broken
on the right of the word, no matter to what value one sets
righthyphenmin during typesetting.) But I'm not an expert in that, so
I may be wrong.

To François: maybe one can fix language.dat (if the way that Jörg
Knappen suggested works) or I can generate a file with those values in
arbitrary format, but inside the hyph-utf8 package we cannot set those
values (no matter what we set, the settings will be forgotten).