[tex-hyphen] Latin Hyphenation when using utf8

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 19:18:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 16:09, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>  But \hyphequiv has been dropped from LuaTeX,

I didn't know that. But then ...
1.) LuaTeX patterns are already separated anyway.
2.) In LuaTeX it should probably be easy to make that table of
equivalent characters (at least easy in comparison with XeTeX in case
that XeTeX doesn't support that command any more).

> and XeTeX doesn't seem to
> know about it either.  I wonder if the best solution in that case is not
> simply to generate two files, one for UTF-8 engines with all the
> patterns (including macrons, etc.), and one for 8-bit engines where all
> patterns containing characters that have no equivalent in the 8-bit
> encoding have been stripped.

That's also an option. (And we still need to solve the problem with
apostrophes, right?)