[tex-hyphen] German patterns in TL2010

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Wed Jun 2 12:07:21 CEST 2010

Am 01.06.2010 18:30, schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:
> Le 01/06/2010 14:42, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
>> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 14:15, Stephan Hennig wrote:
>>> OK.  But who uses the 'loader' attribute then?
>>
>> file=xxx.tex is written into language.dat / language.def and used by
>> (Xe)LaTeX and plain (Xe)TeX. LuaTeX uses the files mentioned in
>> file_patterns=xxx and file_exceptions=xxx.
>>
> Exactly. Said otherwise, the 'loader' attribute in language.dat.lua is not used
> at all. (The documentation of the tex&  lua part of the system,
> luatex-hyphen.pdf, says it explicitly.)

Ah, found it now:

> Those field’s values must be the same as in language.dat.

How is this ensured?  Purely manually?

> The loader field is currently unused.

But why introduce 'loader' in the first place, when there is no use for
it?  Wasn't the idea of converting patterns to text-only to abandon
pattern loaders?  Technically, converting patterns to text-only and
making LuaTeX load patterns dynamically are two different things.  But
as they happen at the same time, why keep old stuff around?  In case a
demand for loaders arose in the future, would it be difficult to
re-introduce them only then?

>>> ?  I have no idea how this translates to what I can see in language.dat and
>>> language.dat.lua.  Can you point me to some documentation, please?
>>
>> Manuel did the changes. I have no idea if it's documented anywhere
>> else, but some simple doc is here:
>> - http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPSRC.pm?view=markup

OK, this is all TL specific.  I can't dive into that too deep now (and I
have difficulties understanding Perl).

> I'm afraid there isn't much more documentation. The man page of tlmgr has some
> information in the "generate" section too. But basically, attributes are just
> renamed as follows, in the conversion tlpsrc ->  language.dat.lua
>
> - file ->  loader
> - file_patterns ->  patterns
> - file_exceptions ->  hyphenation
> - luaspecial ->  special
> - remaining fields unchanged
>
> Feel free to ask for more details if needed.

Just one thing:  What does a line like this from
trunk/TL/tlpkg/tlpsrc/hyphen-german.tlpsrc do?

   runpattern f texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/dehypht.tex

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

PS: Small patch for the manual attached.