[tex-hyphen] hindi hyphenation

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Feb 25 00:01:58 CET 2010

Mojca, Arthur,

In case you're bored and looking for something to add to hyph-utf8 :) ...
(I did not think Hindi was hyphenated.  Interesting.)

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:31:16 +0100
From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
To: mary hanna <maryhanw at gmail.com>
Cc: texhax at tug.org
Subject: Re: [texhax] HIndi Hyphenation Support Query

 > On 24 February 2010 mary hanna wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Hoping some one could assist on my request.  Can you please tell me
 > if in fact the HINDI language has hyphenation patterns and secondly
 > if so, does a HINDI Hyphen.tex file exist that works with TEX?

There are no Hindi hyphenation patterns in TeX right now.  LaTeX
prints a list of all supported hyphenation patterns to screen at the
beginning of each run.

However, there are Hindi hyphenation patterns for OpenOffice:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smc.git/tree/hyphenation/hyph_hi_IN.dic

Since OpenOffice uses the same hyphenation algorithm as TeX (slightly
modified), it's likely that you can use them.  Maybe someone more
experienced with hyphenation patterns can tell you whether they have
to be adapted.