[tex-hyphen] Special languages

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Apr 30 14:55:45 CEST 2010

Le 29/04/2010 06:15, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
> dumylang
> nohyphenation
> german-x-2009-06-19
> ngerman-x-2009-06-19
> ibycus
> arabic
> farsi
> mongolianlmc

r355 implements new ways of handling special languages using language.dat.lua.
Full description in the doc (hyph-utf8/doc/luatex/hyph-utf8/luatex-hyphen.pdf)
but let me try to sum up the three case:
- entry on language.dat but no entry in language.dat.lua: language is handled
the old way (patterns dumped into the format). This is forced for \language0
(Knuthian English) anyway for compatibility.
- normal entry in language.dat.lua (that is, with a "code" field): language is
handled the new way, patterns and exceptions loaded dynamically from
hyph-<code>.{pat,hyp}.txt.
- special entry in language.dat.lua, identified by the presence of a 'special'
key (and no 'code' key). Two kinds of specials currently recognized: 'null' for
no hyphenation patterns nor exceptions (nothing done, easy) or
'disabled:<reason>' to disabled the language: trying to activate it will result
in an error with the reason displayed.

I edited languages.dat.lua in order to be able to test this. Of course this
version is not meant to reflect the final choice about (n)german-x, ibycus and
mongolianmlc, just to serve as an example.

So, I believe the code (hyphen.cfg and luatex-hyphen.lua) now allows us to do
anything we want with special languages, so we just need to decide about the
final contents of languages.dat.lua.

Manuel.