[tex-hyphen] Special languages

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Apr 29 07:30:26 CEST 2010

Le 29/04/2010 06:15, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
> With English, it would make 5 "real" languages included in the format.
> Currently, there are 65 of them (69, but excluding the 4 languages with
> (almost) no patterns here too, to be fair). So, we can cut the number of
> languages rehashed at format loading by 1/13 *and* keep 100% perfect
> backwards compatibility with almost no effort (it would be very easy to
> implement).

A few numbers, based on running "time lualatex '\stop'" with various versions of
lualatex.fmt (LuaTeX 0.60.1):

- With all languages in the format (current status in TL): ~ 2.4 seconds
- With only english: ~ 0.19 seconds
- With english,  dumylang, nohyphenation, german-x-2009-06-19,
ngerman-x-2009-06-19, ibycus, arabic, farsi, mongolianlmc: ~ 0.39 seconds.

So, okay, by keeping all theses special languages in the format, we multiply by
2 the loading time, compared to only english. But we also divide it by 6
compared to what we had previously.

Manuel.

PS: loading time essentially unchanged (non-measurable) by removing dumylang,
nohyphenation, arabic and farsi from the list. So, really no need to worry about
them.

PPS: the implementation could go as follows: when the format is build, for each
language (in languages.dat), look in language.dat.lua if we are able to load it
at runtime. If so (and the language is not english), don't load it in the
format. The advantage of such a solution is that, is for any reason
language.dat.lua is lagging behind language.dat, the additional languages are
still working (only increasing the startup time).