[tex-hyphen] Special languages

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Apr 29 06:15:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

I made a very basic test file for hyphen.cfg, and everything is working fine
except for the following languages:

dumylang
nohyphenation
german-x-2009-06-19
ngerman-x-2009-06-19
ibycus
arabic
farsi
mongolianlmc

Amongst them, three have no patterns nor exceptions at all (nohyphenation,
arabic, farsi) and one has only two patterns (dumylang). Which leaves us with 4
"real" languages (german-x, ngerman-x, ibycus, mongolianmlc).

There are probably arguments for not supporting any of them. However, my
proposal is to support them in the following easy way: treat them the good old
way, load them at format generation time.

With English, it would make 5 "real" languages included in the format.
Currently, there are 65 of them (69, but excluding the 4 languages with (almost)
no patterns here too, to be fair). So, we can cut the number of languages
rehashed at format loading by 1/13 *and* keep 100% perfect backwards
compatibility with almost no effort (it would be very easy to implement).

IMO, it's the way to go.

Wdyt?

Manuel.