[tex-hyphen] tex patterns as lua files

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Wed Apr 28 19:24:30 CEST 2010

Am 27.04.2010 14:51, schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

>> - If you mean the Germans with their timestamped patterns, we may
>> postpone the discussion; in LuaTeX you would probably want to go for a
>> completly different route than the current approach anyway.
>
> Ok. We'll have to make a (possibly temporary) decision for them: if we don't
> support loading them from LuaTeX atm, we need to provide at least a sensible
> error message.

Oh, please don't care about the timestamped patterns.  The time stamp is
only a crude hack to avoid file name confusion while testing patterns
that are under development.  We are happily waiting for Polyglossia to
provide a way for ageing patterns some day.

The patterns in the dehyph-exptl package were originally meant for LaTeX
and Babel only.  Mojca just grabbed our patterns for XeTeX (for
converting the ugly conventional German OT1/T1 patterns to UTF-8 seemed
hard), arguing that there's no need for (self-)backwards compatibility
as long as XeTeX's version number is lower than 1.0.  So, as long as the
latter holds, there is no need to consider timestamped patterns in
hyph-utf8.  But once XeTeX or LuaTeX grow v1.0, it would be nice to have
an official solution for ageing patterns in TeX.  Freezing patterns is
bad, IMHO.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig