[tex-hyphen] tex patterns as lua files

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Apr 27 12:30:54 CEST 2010

Le 27/04/2010 11:36, Élie Roux a écrit :
>> Once again: I would like to discuss the proper inclusion of dtx file
>> once (since I don't understand yet how exactly that works),

Well, it's rather simple: you have one source file (hyphen-luatex.dtx) and when
you process it with tex, it gives two runtime files (hyphen.cfg and
hyphen-luatex.lua), while processin with pdflatex creates the documentation file
(hyphen-luatex.pdf). Of course this is just for this particular dtx.

>> You may put the dtx file under hyph-utf8/source/generic/hyph-utf8
>> (feel free to decide whether you want a subdir or not) and the rest
>> under hyph-utf8/tex/[generic or luatex - no
>> idea]/hyph-utf8/[something]
>
> I'll do that!

Definitely hyph-utf8/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/hyphen.cfg (rather than
.../generic/...) if we want to be sure our hyphen.cfg is found before the
standard one when running luatex (and conversely, that the standard one is found
first when not running luatex).

>> And the same question is still applicable: should I rename the files
>> to hyph-xx.xxx.txt?
>
> It would make sense for me too, It would be more clear.

Would make sense to me, too. While we're at it, I'd like to suggest some other
name than "plain" for the directory part : this is rather confusing since it can
be understood as "plain tex" in this context. Something like plaintext, or,
clearer but longer plaintext-patterns seems more appropriate to me. (This
doesn't really matter from a purely technical POV anyway.)

>>> What do you think?
>>
>> It can either be auto-genereted and kept inside hyph-utf8 tree or
>> auto-generated by tlmgr and kept somewhere else, but maybe the first
>> option is better since you don't depend on tlmgr that much and it
>> doesn't bring any speedup or any other advantage if auto-generated by
>> tlmgr. Just more external dependencies and the need to fix tlmgr in
>> case that you will need any changes in file format. So I suggest that
>> we move language.dat.lua somewhere inside hyph-utf8's TDS tree as
>> well.
>
> It also makes sense for me, the file can be in its complete form even
> if languages.dat is not,

Good point.

> so the first solution seems better.

There still are a few edge cases which I'm investigating, but currently I agree.

Manuel.