[tex-hyphen] tex patterns as lua files

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Apr 27 05:07:29 CEST 2010

Le 27/04/2010 02:30, Karl Berry a écrit :
> Yes on all counts.  I+Elie+Khaled have already spoken to Peter B
> (etex.src author/maintainer) about this.  He is ok in principle with
> integrating luatex changes into the master etex.src, but (as I
> understood it) prefers that they be released as a separate
> luatex-specific file first, so they can be more thoroughly tested before
> the master is changed.

Great. I agree that it's better to get some testing in a separate file first,
but it's that Peter is ok with merging it later, so that we avoid having too
many copies of essentially the same code in the long run.

> So our default plan here should be to ship an etex.src in the luatex
> tree.  Hmm, seems to me now that it doesn't have to be named etex.src,
> since it's used at format time rather than buried in unchangeable TeX
> macros.  Right?  If the luatex version can have a different name
> (luaetex.tex comes to mind), that would be nice.

luaetex.tex sounds fine to me.

So, unless I'm mistaken, the remaining points to be sorted are:
- import the necessary files in tex-hyphen's SVN
- decide on a location for the new files in TL (should not be too difficult)
- sort out whether we can work our way in Lua with current language.(dat|def)
(would be easier from the TL infra POV, but require more work from the
macros/Lua POV) or really need an additional language.(dat|def).lua, which would
need adaptations in the TL infrastructure.
- get names for US english patterns work as Karl suggested
- it is not clear to me right now whether an update of luatex's specific
hyphen.cfg will correctly trigger a rebuild of the formats using it. (Well,
right now it isn't clear to me either that an update of hyph-utf8 triggers a
rebuild of most formats, so I'd probably better get some sleep.)
- do as much testing as we can

Am I missing something? If not, it sound rather reasonable to hope getting it
ready within a few weeks.

Manuel.