[tex-hyphen] tex patterns as lua files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Apr 27 02:30:08 CEST 2010

    IIRC, we planned to trick the process by providing a hyphen.cfg (in
    the luatex tree, not the generic one) in a hyphen.dtx, in order to be
    able to update the file only for LuaTeX. I think it was approved by
    the LaTeX team as a temporary solution, but I might be wrong.

Technically, I don't think it's up to the latex team to approve or
disapprove, although of course it's nice to have their concurrence.

It's fine to have a special hyphen.cfg in the luatex tree.  We have
three hyphen.cfg's already, and numerous similar cases.

The new hyphen.cfg should have its headers and identification changed
completely so that it cannot be mistaken for part of babel.

    > babel's test suite currently exists only on
    > Johannes' machine, if I understand correctly).

That's my understanding as well.

    That's interesting... Could any of you ask him to provide it and
    relaunch him from times to times?

The LaTeX team is well aware of this issue.  It is up to them to get it
sorted out and into their own source repository.  As far as I know, no
one else can do anything to move it forward.

Corollary: we must not wait around for changes in core babel, because it
may well never happen.

karl