[tex-hyphen] tex patterns as lua files

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:41:45 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 08:46, Élie Roux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to upload the new hyphenation system for LaTeX
> (http://github.com/eroux/luatex-hyphen), but I still didn't get a
> precise answer

I'm sorry ... the "online meeting" arrangement has failed once and
then we didn't continue the discussion. I'll probably be offline for a
few days (at least until Thursday, and then it again depends on how
well the internet connection will work on BachoTeX, but I assume that
it will be ok and I'll have 90%-time + most of Arthur's time devoted
to TeX, including discussing patterns.)

> on where I should commit them on the svn... as plain/
> is in no TL tree,

plain/ in a temporary folder. It has been generated for testing: we
need to incorporate it inside the hyph-utf8 tree once others agree
that it's of satisfactory quality. That is: we can do that now if
there are no objections. I'm not satisfied about the files with
"header" (xx.lic.txt), but that's something that's not related to what
you want to do.

It would probably also make sense to rename the files, to reflect at
least remotely that they are about hyphenation. Something like
- hyph-fr.chr.txt
- hyph-fr.hyp.txt
- hyph-fr.pat.txt
- hyph-fr.lic.txt

What do you think?

And - where should we put it?
Maybe that's a question for Karl. Karl - what location do you suggest
for http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/plain/?
tex/generic/hyph-utf8/plain? or maybe data/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns?

> I don't really understand where I should put them,

I would suggest to make a branch in parallel to trunk, do the needed
modifications until it becomes "perfect", test it and then take that
branch back into trunk and upload it to CTAN.

Arthur - may I ask you to do a new branch once you get my confirmation
that I have fixed galician patterns?

> nor if I should commit only the .dtx file or also the .cfg and .lua
> files...

The dtx file is something that I wanted to discuss as well (I don't
understand how exactly it works.) But this particular topic about dtx
file may be postponed since what we really need are the cfg and lua
files. For the time being it may suffice if you:
- upload dtx file to source/generic/hyph-utf8 (just for a reference)
- upload all the other files to tex/generic/hyph-utf8 (TL would use those files)

The languages.dat.lua will have to go somewhere to hyph-utf8 tree as
well. The exact detail about integration need to be discussed with
Karl & others since I'm not sure about all the details of a
distribution.

> Is the change still planned for TL2010? Are there some ideas on when
> the package freeze will occur?

That's a question for Karl (I do not follow the TeX Live mailing lists
any more since that was too time consuming). But we need to have the
package ready before the package freeze in order to test sufficiently.

And there's also the pending Javier's request to load extra patterns
"on demand" that we need to consider. We cannot just take the file in
the form that he sent us (we don't want to drop the idea of having
almost-clean pattern files, so we need to split that file into
multiple components and maybe fix the loadhyph file).