[tex-hyphen] Latvian letters

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:28:38 CEST 2009

2009/9/9 Janis Savlovskis:
> Hi,
>
> There is no simple way to put Latvian letters into my pdf output of LaTeX (
> I use TeXnic center)!
> I'm frustrated.
> Babels, encodings, latvian char codes, anything else... I don’t want to go
> deep into.
> Please, provide clear instructions how to resolve this problem. Step by
> step.

If you "don't want to go deep into it" I would strongly suggest you to
use just XeTeX with UTF-8 encoding and polyglossia instead of babel
and 99% of all the problems connected with pdfTeX & babel will go
away.

Even if someone explains you how to do it in pdfTeX and you spend two
days setting it up, you'll probably have problems getting it work on
some other computer and getting it work 10 years from now. The major
problem is that you don't have proper font support and it also depends
on what distribution you use. The support has only been added recently
to some distributions.

The instructions about how to use Latvian/Lithuanian may vary
considerably depending on what engine/distribution/fonts you want to
use. If you have problems setting it up with XeTeX, ask again (maybe
the best place to get a quick answer for that will be the XeTeX
mailing list). If you ask again one month from now I'm willing to
explain you how to do it in pdfTeX, but it's a bit painful. In
principle it should be enough to use

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[L7x]{fontenc}
\usepagkage[latvian]{babel}

but sooner or later you'll run into font problems with that. Just take XeTeX.