[tex-hyphen] problems with sanskrit patterns and xetex?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:31:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:28, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 9 Jun 2009, at 11:18, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> Hi Mojca, hi all,
>>
>> Angelo found the following problem when including all patterns:
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi at alice.it>
>> -----
>>>

>>> (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-sa.
>>> tex UTF-8 Sanskrit Hyphenation Patterns (v0.2, 2008/1/3)
>>>
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/hyph-sa.tex
>>> ! Nonletter.                           <====
>>> l.486 2à³±                             <====
>>
>> ----- End forwarded message -----
>>
>> Can you make anything from that?
>>

> I reported this yesterday to Yves Codet, and he sent me the attached version
> of loadhyph-sa.tex, which should solve the problem. Mojca, can you take care
> of installing this in the proper place? (I notice that it claims to be an
> autogenerated file, so possibly the script that (re)generates it needs to be
> updated so that the fix doesn't get lost in the future.)

Thanks a lot for reporting and for the explanation. I did not follow
Sanskrit pattern changes and I did not try to explore what these
characters are and what purpose they serve, I just accepted the patch
(http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen?view=rev&revision=276).

Next time I need to remember to try tests/make-formats.sh first before
accepting any patch :)

If someone could double-check that the changes are OK, I can submit
them to CTAN.

One more question: in the patched file there's no "zerohyph.tex"
sanskrit patterns makes no sense in pdftex, but we have a few more
languages that do the same.

Thanks,