[tex-hyphen] ann: dehyph-exptl v0.20

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:52:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 01:19, Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
>> After install, run tlmgr remove dehyph-exptl ?
>
> That says something like (sorry on wrong machine now):
>
>  cannot remove the package, since it depends on collection-langgerman
>
> The command
>
>  tlmgr remove --force dehyph-exptl
>
> works, however.  Maybe I should be just fine with that.

I'm not sure about it, but maybe ... if you don't install
collection-langgerman, install dehyph-exptl then uninstalling should
go without problems.

>From what I understand (I could be wrong) is that tlmgr remembers
which collections you have installed, so that whenever a new package
is added to one of collections installed on your computer, that new
package will be installed when you update.

You can also install an additional package without installing the
whole collection (on Debian you can only install collections with
apt-get) and then tlmgr also remembers which package has been
installed in addition to installed collections, but maybe it's
forbidden to remove packages. In some cases this could be called a
missing functionality (like in your case when you want to install
every single package but one for specific collection), but in many
cases this could be a bit dangerous. Suppose that someone would want
to uninstall "bin-tex" ...

Most dependencies in TL are not based on "package A depends on package
B", but usually "package/collection A depends on collection B" or
quite often different parts of the same collection depend on each
other.

In general users can:
- either not install the whole collection and just install a few
packages out of it
- if they need a different version from what's provided, put a
modified version into TEXMFHOME
- create own mirrors in order to fetch the latest version of package
from there instead from CTAN
I would say that allowing to remove a package might be more dangerous
than the advantages it would bring if one would allow uninstallation
without warning (unless someone prepares a comprehensive tree of
dependencies for the whole TL).