[tex-hyphen] hyphenation patterns for URLs

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Oct 14 21:16:13 CEST 2008

> However, at least one US-American magazine (Sky & Telescope) uses
>
>    http://
>    aaa
>    .bbb
>    .ccc

  That's what I would favour too, and for hyphens as well; in the latter
case it's really important that it comes on the next line, since
otherwise it could be mistaken for an inserted hyphen.

  Ironically, in the TUGboat article about hyph-utf8, I had to insert
all the hyphens in URLs and file names by hand ;-)

  By the way, what about a new language with hyphenation patterns for
URLs and file names?  We can handle that in packages, but patterns are
the most appropriate way to do this, after all.  And it's really
something of a different language :-)

  In LuaTeX, we can even do this on the fly.

	Arthur