[tex-hyphen] hyphenation patterns for URLs

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Tue Oct 14 19:24:53 CEST 2008

> Does anyone have any idea about hyphenation rules for URLs?
> (Something like: do not ever break "http://", do not break before
> "/" or "." or "_" or "-", preferrably do not break right after "~",
> you may consider breaking at some language-preferred breaking
> points, but in general, breaking between any two letters should be
> OK - at least better than extending the line to infinity ...)

I often see URLs broken like this:

   http://
   aaa.
   bbb.
   ccc

However, at least one US-American magazine (Sky & Telescope) uses

   http://
   aaa
   .bbb
   .ccc

which I consider better -- at first sight, it looks ugly, but since in
normal sentences a full stop can never start a line, it is obvious
that the URL is continued.

BTW, does url.sty support this somehow?

    Werner