[tex-hyphen] syncing patterns to CTAN

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Nov 4 01:37:48 CET 2008

    It might be useful if files from hyph-utf8 would be automatically
    synced to CTAN from SVN repository.

Well, it is easy enough to set that up, ctan already gets autoupdates of
other stuff from tug, but your other considerations make me wonder if
you really want to do it:

    sometimes we want to check in small patches or whatever else that we
    don't necessary want to land on CTAN right away, so it might make
    sense to make a "stable" branch,

The practical result of setting up a branch like this is that you have
to double-release all changes that you do want to propagate, once to the
branch and once to the trunk.  Or do merging, but so far I have been
underwhelmed by the purportedly-automatic merging in any vc tool (cvs,
svn, git, whatever).

Basically, you're trading the pain of making a zip+uploading for the
pain of vc merging (however it's done).  Personally, I think the latter
is more painful.  Especially since the former can be done in a single
command -- if you haven't written a script or Makefile to do it yet,
I think that's the simplest way to go.

Best,
Karl