[tex-hyphen] german hyphenation patterns

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri May 30 14:30:23 CEST 2008

> > compatible with the old ones?  Will they be ready within a week or
> > two (at most)?

I can generate them (both old and new orthography) within 30 minutes.

> > Is DANTE (Volker, Klaus, etc.) and the rest of the large German
> > TeX community aware of this effort?

Yes.

> The changing of linebreaks should only occur to the better, but
> still we must consider running parallel for some time.

Yes, probably using a small macro package which switches to a new
hyphenation languages.  Note that my new patterns for the first time
support additional patterns for Swiss German (this is, German written
without `ß', which gets always replaced with `ss').  These Swiss
pattern are necessary also for using small caps.

    Werner