[tex-hyphen] Loading patterns twice, OT1 and apostrophe

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jun 27 09:22:05 CEST 2008

Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> I also prepared some extracts of apostrophes (represented twice in
>> UTF-8), but did anyone take a look at Petr's suggestion?
>
> To use \savinghyphcodes, that is? I have never tested this in xetex, and
> I suspect nobody else has used it either! AFAIK, it should work, but
> only for the \lccodes of chars < 256; it has not been extended to cover
> all the Unicode character codes.

I took it out of luatex rather than extending it because even then it
would still be a kludge, not a nice solution. But a proper solution
is still pending. I've been thinking: Perhaps the final solution is to
do away with \lccode and \uccode completely and instead base the
system on unicode properties?

Best wishes,
Taco