[tex-hyphen] Greek hyphenation patterns

Apostolos Syropoulos ijdt.editor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 22:40:02 CEST 2008

2008/6/19 Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org>:

> > > OK but what if the international standards are wrong? Users will
> > > use commands like \ΜakeUppercase{Απόστολος} and they will get
> > > ΑΠΌΣΤΟΛΟΣ which is wrong. If users will ask why they get wrong
> > > output what will be the response? That we follow standards that
> > > are wrong! At any rate.
>
> The *character representation* being ΑΠΌΣΤΟΛΟΣ is correct.  However,
> the *visual representation* should be the same string without the
> accents.

My name in the polytonic grammar is Ἀπόστολος  and of course the all
uppercase
is not ἈΠΟΣΤΟΛΟΣ! In Greek there are 24 letters (OK some more but those are
not
in use any more). An accented letter is no different from a letter without
accents. Something
that is true for say Å, Ì, etc. These letters are part of the alphabet,
while Ἀ is not part of
the alphabet. This is an important difference that many people have
difficulty to understand.

> > See the Unicode web site. <http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html>
>
> There's no bug.

No there is.