[tex-hyphen] versioning hyphenation patterns

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 16 17:29:00 CEST 2008

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Stephan Hennig wrote:
>> BTW, is LuaTeX able to merge different pattern files on the fly, e.g., a
>> language pattern file with a pattern file for domain specific notions?
>
> LuaTeX can parse files and load patterns on the fly. I see no reason
> why this would not be possible.

actually, you can as well load a whole dictionary of hyphensted words
which is quite fast too; in the process of redoing that part of the tex
kernel we did lots of experiments, even with lua based hyphenation using
dictionaries, just to see if it could be done; deep down all code
related to hyphenation is rewritten; for instance there can be
discretionaries in \hyphenation so in principle one can have more
complex solutions

Hans