[tex-hyphen] language.dat

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 11:06:09 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Vladimir Volovich wrote:
> "HH" == Hans Hagen writes:
>
>  >> ideally, this information should be shored in a replacement for
>  >> language.dat.
>
>  HH> language.dat is macro package specific so not the best place
>
> i said "replacement for language.dat", which could be made just a data
> file containing all necessary information in convenient (for creating
> and parsing) format. then of course, both latex's hyphen.cfg and
> context's mechanisms should be modified to parse that new data file.

ConTeX doesn't use that file, so it's no problem at all :) :) :)

But yes - the Germans would also be quite happy to have a replacement
for language.dat that could account for versioned patterns.

I'm not going to do anything about it since I don't know the details
and I'm afraid to "change a working system", but if almost everything
is going to change anyway and if someone knows how to do it "properly"

Also, LuaTeX might have some specific needs since it can load patterns
at runtime.