[tex-hyphen] Serbian (Serbo-Croation) hyphenation patterns.

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 23:39:40 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:

>> >  I advocate having duplicates if needed, but I don't think you can do
>> > anything to avoid political discussions at some point.  Just try saying
>> > "Macedonian" on the XeTeX list ...
>>
>> Oh, right! Thanks for reminding me that we also need to add
>>
>> serbianc          loadhyph-sr-cyrl
>> =macedonian
>
> Won't do. Macedonian contains a few characters not present in
> Serbocroatian. Though the patterns would probably work if we
> include those characters. I suppose that the hyphenation rules for
> Macedonian are the same as for Serbocroatian. BTW, while we're at
> it, isn't it the same in Slovenian too?
>
>> or maybe
>>
>> bulgarian        loadhyph-bg
>> =macedonian
>>
>> to language.dat :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

First: both examples for Macedonian were a joke of course.

Second: Serbo-Croation patterns would probably be a satisfying
temporary solution if there was no native one. I don't even understand
the Slovenian rules for hyphenation (not even speaking about your
rules for which I have never heard). Our official rules are as
complete as Swiss cheese. One of the rules says: second part may not
start with two consonants that cannot be spoken out easily, but only
good knows which these pairs are, and similar to German, we have some
hyphenation points that are possible, but other ones are preferred,
again - wihout any written rule anywhere.

Our alphabet also lacks at least four letters, and l-j and n-j
splitting is possible.
The rules for hyphenating foreign names definitely differ a lot from
yours - we never write Ajnštajn for example :) :) :) :) :)