[tex-hyphen] .dat file discrepancies

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 20:20:57 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>    I have generated & commited the separate .dat files now
>
> Thanks.
>
> - please don't include language.dat in the hyph-utf8/ subdir.  If you
>  want it for your own testing, it could be elsewhere in the repo.

OK.

> - there are a number of .dat files in TL
>  Master/texmf/tex/generic/config/ not in your tree, and vice versa.  I
>  guess some (or all?) are due to renaming?  Can you please elucidate?
>  (Sorry, it's hard to compare.)
>
> Your dir only: ca cs da eu gl hsb id nb nl nn sk sv tr
> TL   dir only: ba cz de dk gr iby in mn mn2a ne no py sor sr sw tk ur

Yes, I will send you a revised list later today or tomorrow, the
current one is a bit improvisoric and doesn't account for some
irregularities yet.

>  It's no problem to have .dat's be "sourced" in TL and others from
>  hyph-utf8, we just need to be sure we don't overlap or miss any.
>
> - your language.uk.dat says it's for ukrainian.

Definitely. UK stands for Ukrainian. British should use en-GB.

> The existing one in TL
>  is for UK English, which I don't see in your set.  I guess I should
>  make mine into language.gb.dat or something?

We have used "en-gb" for British English. Actually, we need your
opinion here. For all the patterns except for pinjin and English (both
American and British), we have created hyph-foo.tex. The English
patterns don't need any modifications at all. Should we still rename
the file to hyph-en-gb.tex?

Please, do not try to invent yet another two-letter code for British.
Maybe you can simply add it to English, the same way as Spanish,
Czecho-Slovak, Greek and German have multiple patterns included?