[tex-hyphen] Serbian (Serbo-Croation) hyphenation patterns.

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Thu Jun 12 04:16:13 CEST 2008

> But we're modifying + renaming all of them now, so shhyph would not be
> used at all, so it makes no sense to try to modify & include it now.
> Let's focus on new patterns instead.

  Actually, I'd say it makes more sense to keep referring to Dejan's
patterns as Serbocroatian, since it's really the language they were
designed for, and to use them as a basis for today's "national"
languages where specific patterns are missing, that is, Serbian and
Bosnian.  This for the Latin spelling.  As for Cyrillic, it would even
make sense to me if we created Serbocroatian patterns by converting
Dejan's patterns -- the differences between the latter and srhyphc.tex
seem really tiny.  But then, let's not be too zealous.

  In any case, we really need Dejan to make his patterns under a free
license (hint, hint :-)

> I'm pretty sure that if we call the patterns Serbocroatian now, some
> people will pop up at some time complaining that the language doesn't
> exist any more and they will try to convince Karl to rename them. A
> similar situation with "Norwegian".

  If so, we could ask such poeple how they feel about the Ancient Greek
patterns :-)

  (I don't know if there were hyphenation rules in Vedic Sanskrit, but
I'm sure that if there are, pattern files will be written for TeX
someday -- for the moment there are no patterns for Classical Sanskrit,
let alone Vedic).

	Arthur