[tex-hyphen] hyph-de-1996 misnomer

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Jun 10 07:32:36 CEST 2008

> hyph-de-1996 is a misnomer -- it should be hyph-de-2006 instead.

  de-1996 is the RFC 4646 tag for the last reform of the German
orthography, registered by the IANA
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry).  RFC 4646
"Tags for Identifying Languages", best referred to as IETF Best Current
Practice n°47 (http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt), can account for
all sort of language variants, and it is the only language tagging
system I know that it so precise as to distinguish between all the
languages we have in TeX Live.  Often, ISO 639 tags are simply not
enough.

  You can look up the precise definition of the tags, but it consists
roughly of:

  1. A shortest ISO 639 language tag (639-2 two-letter or 639-3
     three-letter) -- the only compulsory part
  2. An optional regional subtag (usually ISO 3166 country code)
  3. An optional script subtag (ISO 15924 four-letter)
  4. Further variant subtags, registered by the IANA
  5. Private elements, introduced by -x-

  The "1996" subtag has been registered in that framework.  I suppose it
is the year the first version of the reform was released -- but in any
case what I'm interested in is that it is pretty standard and
(relatively) old and stable; the tag dates back to 2001.  Incidentally,
the IANA registry contains all sorts of extraordinary items, including
tags for all the dialects and dialect variants of Slovenian spoken in
the border region of Italy (I'm not kidding -- look up 1994 in the
registry).

  I uploaded a complete list of the supported languages to
svn://tug.org/texhyphen/trunk/data/language_codes/tex-languages.txt and
I will write rationales for them.

  By the way, RFC 4646 will also be the basis for the naming of
ConTeXt's languages some day ... when I manage to finish writing the
document that Hans has been waiting for six months already :-)

	Arthur