[tex-hyphen] german hyphenation patterns

Petr Sojka sojka at fi.muni.cz
Sat Jun 7 18:12:19 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 02:38:16PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
Hi all,

I've forwaded communication on tex-hyphen to David.
AFAIK
-- when alphabet does not have more than 255 chars,
opatgen's patterns are "isomorphic" to patgen's.

-- opatgen is necessary when one needs more than 255 chars,
thus is not needed for German.

-- you can have better / smaller patterns closer to the optimal ones
by good setting of [o]patgen parameters (in my experience,
four levels are enough, having higher numbers for "exceptions").
current 8 levels are definitely too much. have you tried
setting from my papers for Czech/Slovak? I can help with
that.

All the best
Petr