[tex-eplain] Problem with makeindex.

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 7 23:50:56 CEST 2015

    I can't get makindex to insert guide letters at
    the start of each letter group for an index. In
    my *ist file I inserted
    headings_flag 1
    but that didn't work.
    Did something change recently?

I don't know of anything meaningful that has changed in makeindex (or
eplain index stuff) for a long time.

I'm also not sure what headings_flag 1 actually does, i.e., whether the
problem is with makeindex or eplain.  Maybe eplain never supported guide
letters?  I don't remember ever specifically looking at that.

Sorry, I can't track it down to the bitter end right now.  For starters,
can you check what makeindex is generating?  Sample files could only
help, too.

Karl