[tex-eplain] Poetry environment

John Frampton j.frampton at neu.edu
Tue Jan 12 20:53:40 CET 2010

Is this what you want?

\def\beginpoem{\bgroup
    \tabskip=0pt plus 1fil
    \halign to\hsize\bgroup\tabskip=1em plus1fil
       ##\hfil& ##\hfil\tabskip=0pt plus1fil\cr
}
\def\endpoem{\egroup\egroup}

\beginpoem
I wandered lonely as a cloud&
    Continuous as the stars that shine\cr
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,&
    And twinkle on the milky way,\cr
When all at once I saw a crowd,&
    They stretched in never-ending line\cr
A host, of golden daffodils;&
    Along the margin of a bay:\cr
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,&
    Ten thousand saw I at a glance,\cr
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.&
    Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.\cr
\endpoem

- John Frampton