[tex-eplain] German.sty does not work in (e)plain.tex

Michael Weller michael.weller at t-online.de
Tue Feb 9 10:45:38 CET 2010

Dear list,

It turned out adding:

\addlanguage {german}{xu-dehypht.tex}{}{2}{3}
\addlanguage {ngerman}{xu-dehyphn.tex}{}{2}{3}
\def\l at german{\lang at german}
\def\l at ngerman{\lang at ngerman}

to language.def works best and most convenient (no need to change individual
docs) for me. Thanks for all the answers.

Like I said, I've some knowledge, I also know about special chars being
redefined for internal identifiers, but I never fiddled with the internals,
so I really don't know where @ oughts to be a letter and were not.

With this change, etex works for me. (well just tex not (apparently doesn't
use language.def), but that's not a problem for me, and also this is the
eplain list).

Now I wonder if I dare to reuse some of my old xy-pic docs too (but these
are LaTeX)

Thank you,
Michael.

[...]
> >   \addlanguage {ngerman}{xu-dehyphn.tex}{}{2}{3}
> >   \catcode`@=11\def\l at german{\lang at german}\catcode`@=12
>

> In language.def you should not make the \catcode changes.
> That last line should just be:
>     \def\l at german{\lang at german}
> The code in etex.src (which inputs language.def at format creation)
> requires @'s catcode remain 11 throughout.
[...]