[tex-eplain] Wierd error with \doublecolumns

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Oct 16 01:47:56 CEST 2009

I have a document where I alternate between \doublecolumns and
\singlecolumn. On one and only one \doublecolumns statement I
get an arithmetic error. If I type "q" the pdftex run completes and
the document is correctly formatted. I checked for things like two
\doublecolumns in a row but that isn't the issue.

Here is what the log file says:
[34 <./gimps/sloonlak-page1.png (PNG copy)>]
! Arithmetic overflow.
\@columns ...iply \count \footins by \@numcolumns
                                                  \advance \vsize by -\ht
\t...
l.1085 \doublecolumns

? q
OK, entering \batchmode...
! Arithmetic overflow.
\@columns ...tiply \count \topins by \@numcolumns
                                                  \global \vsize =
\@numcolu...
l.1085 \doublecolumns

I can't carry out that multiplication or division,
since the result is out of range.
and here is the code in the vicinity of the error:
\singlecolumn

\pdfximage width 6.5in {gimps/sloonlak-page1.png}
\centerline{\pdfrefximage\pdflastximage}

\vfil\eject

\doublecolumns

\idx{Gimp} is
excellent for type effects and the prewritten routines make the

Any idea what is going on?

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"