[tex-eplain] \detokenize

John Frampton j.frampton at neu.edu
Sat Nov 14 00:35:56 CET 2009

Is there any easy way to define a variety of etex's \detokenize so that a space
is not introduced after a control sequence if there no space after the token in
the argument of \detokenize?

So, for example, \mydetokenize{\relax.} doesn't introduce a space after the
string expansion of \relax, assuming of course that the period hasn't been made
a letter.  The effect I'm looking for is to apply \string sequentially to each
of the tokens in the argument of \mydetokenize.  I could write a loop macro to
carry this out.  I'm curious if there is any simpler (and faster) way to do this.

Thanks,
John Frampton