[tex-eplain] optional arguments

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Mar 23 19:31:46 CET 2009

I am addressing a different problem than the \architect
macro but rather the discrepancy between:
\idxname{John}{Smith}
and
\idx{Smith, John}

These two items end up on separate lines in  the final
index.  The villian here seems to be the \indexseparator
item inserted by the \indexname routines. Makeindex does
not combine the two references on a single line.

When I use eplain and makeindex the idx file looks like
this:
\indexentry{Smith\idxnameseparator John}{1}
\indexentry{Smith, John}{2}
and the book.ind file looks like this:
\item Smith, John, 2
\item Smith\idxnameseparator John, 1

The solution would be to modify eplain such that instead of
inserting  \indexnameseparator the \indexname macro would
simply insert a comma. This is the default choice anyhow
and the one that conforms to standard indexing practice.

The eplain code is formidable enough that I hesitate to
offer a patch myself.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters