[tex-eplain] eplain and XeTeX

Dorai Sitaram ds26gte at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 18:08:51 CEST 2009

I was wondering if there are any experiences here using eplain with the XeTeX engine.  I'd like to use a Unicode font with eplain-on-XeTeX.  I don't need to be able to enter Unicode characters "as is" in the source, and it is fine (even preferable) to have ``, '', --, --- convert to the corresponding ligatures as in usual TeX.  However, I'd like to be able to specify Unicode characters using \char, i.e., \char"XYZW should typeset as U+XYZW.

While there is a wealth of info on using LaTeX with XeTeX, I can't seem to find c(l)ues on how to it with (e)plain.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts,

--d