[tex-eplain] xepsf - what bounding box comment does it need?

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Nov 25 10:09:02 CET 2008

On 24 Nov, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Helmut,
>
>     with epsf for years, but this has gone in TeX-Live 2008).
>
> Are you talking about epsf.sty?  It is not gone, in TL'08 it remains
> where it's always been:
>  .../texmf-dist/tex/generic/epsf/epsf.sty
>
> I've never used xepsf.

So, shall I create a bug report for GenToo?

My GenToo distribution texlive-core 2008-r4 definitely does not
contain  neither epsf.sty nor epsf.tex.

Instead there is
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/plain/misc/xepsf.tex

and the first lines of it read
%   XEPSF.TEX macro file:
%   Same as EPSF.TEX except that it uses the ExactBoundingBox put out by
%   MetaPost under appropriate coding.
%
%   (I made this unnecessary on 22 Jan 97 by changing MetaPost to
%   output the exact bounding box when prologues<0. But I retain this
%   file for compatibility with older uses of MetaPost, e.g. gbmac.tex.)
%
%   Written by Tomas Rokicki of Radical Eye Software, 29 Mar 1989.
%   Revised by Don Knuth, 3 Jan 1990.
%   Revised by Tomas Rokicki to accept bounding boxes with no
%      space after the colon, 18 Jul 1990.
%

Unfortunately it behaves differently.

Helmut.

--