[tex-eplain] indexing appendices

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Mar 3 21:23:57 CET 2008

At 09:40 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 04:22:15PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> > BTW, I would not assume that makeindex could not be configured to get
> > around this, unless you have actually checked.
>
>This is very interesting.  I also suspected that, but I couldn't find
>anything in the manual page.  So now I took a look at the code and
>discovered that makeindex has a notion of a "composite page number".
>Parts of a complex page number must be separated by a "page
>compositor", which by default is "-".  So, makeindex can correctly
>scan and process page numbers of the form "A-1", "B-32-i",
>"1-IV-42-f", etc., (up to ten levels) but it can't do what Helmut
>wanted (a "no compositor" case like "A1", but see below).

Write A{}1 for page A1 and set the compositor to "{}".
Alternatively, define a page encapsulator that processes "A-1" into
"A1".

>Page compositor can also be changed through the .mst file with
>page_compositor setting (I've checked), but for some reason
>makeindex's man page doesn't mention composite page numbers at all,

The documentation for makeindex should include ind.pdf (or .dvi or
.tex) which covers page_compositor and other makeindex style file
operators.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descarte