[tex-eplain] Eplain manual

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 7 14:25:30 CET 2007

Dear Oleg

I have just started experimenting with Eplain, which will be very useful (especially the multi-column facility).  I've joined the mailing list so no doubt there will be plenty of interesting suggestions to follow up.

I decided to go ahead and buy the printed manual, which arrived yesterday, but I was disappointed to find that it is version 3.0a, one year out of date.  Since the manual is printed on demand (by Lulu), is there something you could do to ensure that the latest version is always supplied?  I've now printed out the PDF of the latest version, but of course the reason for buying the printed one was to avoid doing that, as well as to help TUG's profits.

Incidentally, I find that the SOUL letter-spacing and underlining package doesn't work in plain TeX (with or without Eplain).  I get a lot of error messages, the most important of which is that none of the characters can be found in nullfont (that isn't surprising - but naturally the characters I want to use for typesetting aren't in nullfont anyway!).  I use Postscript fonts rather than TeX's own fonts.  If you happen to know of a version of soul.sty that works smoothly with plain TeX, I'd be glad to know about it (I tried contacting Franz Melchior, but the e-mail bounced back).

Best wishes

John Was

Dr John Was
13 Harpes Road