[tex-eplain] Tables and endnotes

Adam Fenn acwfenn at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 2 16:18:17 CET 2007

This is a macro by Amy Hendrickson that I've been using for endnotes.
I would like to be able to include a table within the endnote but when
I run TeX it complains:

Illegal parameter number in definition of \foot1.

What to do?

\newcount\footnum
\newcount\savefootnum

\long\def\endnote#1{%
\global\advance\footnum by 1\relax$^{\the\footnum}$

\long\expandafter%
\gdef\csname foot\the\footnum\endcsname{%

\noindent\hbox{\smash{\the\footnum. \hfill}}%
#1\strut\vskip1sp
\smallskip}%
}%

\def\producenotes{{\ifnum\footnum=0\else%
\savefootnum=\footnum%
\footnum=0

\noindent\loop\ifnum\savefootnum>\footnum
\global\advance\footnum by1\relax%
\csname foot\the\footnum\endcsname\relax
\repeat\global\footnum=0\relax\fi}}

\endnote{This is an endnote.}
\producenotes
\bye