[tex-eplain] \tocentry with `depth' argument, verbatim characters in index terms

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Tue May 2 22:21:15 CEST 2006

Hi,

The changes are in CVS:

  http://tug.org/eplain/src/eplain.tex

==========

Now, when you give an integer PART argument to
\writetocentry or \writenumberedtocentry, they write out to
the .toc file a line starting with \tocentry{PART}.

==========

All indexing macros now read their TERM and SUBTERM
arguments verbatim, so you can pass them any characters
(presumably inside some verbatim environment).  A test file
with examples is available from

  http://tug.org/eplain/src/test/indexvrb.tex

Some tricks are still needed with curly braces inside TERM
arguments and brackets inside (optional) SUBTERM arguments.

The brackets are easy -- just pass the TERM!SUBTERM string
as a {TERM} argument.

The difficult part are curly braces.  I've added two
parameters, \idxargopen and \idxargclose, which contain the
characters which are used to delimit the TERM arguments.  By
default they are `\{ and `\}, respectively.  If you need
braces inside TERMs, set \idxargopen and \idxargclose to
something else, e.g.,

  \def\idxargopen{`\<}
  \def\idxargclose{`\>}

and then delimit TERM as <TERM> instead of {TERM}.  This is
not yet documented but the test file I mention above has an
example at the end.

Since SEE and SEEALSO can also contain verbatim things, I've
added verbatim support to the \indexsee and \indexseealso
macros.  There is a problem here, though, since `{' and `}'
can't be used in the arguments to \indexsee and
\indexseealso.  The best solution here is probably to just
define macros which expand to verbatim `{' and `}' and use
them inside SEE and SEEALSO references.

Finally, if anybody cares to check this out, there is a new
demo

  http://tug.org/eplain/demo/lscommnt.tex
  http://tug.org/eplain/demo/lscommnt.pdf

As always, any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best,
Oleg