[tex-eplain] Stop hyphenation in TOC

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jan 14 18:20:44 CET 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 11:33 am, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > [...] I don't want hyphenation in the TOC. I have tried adjusting
> > \pretolerance to no avail. [...]
>
> just a quick answer, without any testing: the parameter you need is
> \hyphenpenalty and \exhyphenpenalty (the latter is for breaking
> Smith-Wesson just before the "W").  Set both to 10000, adjust
> \rightskip in a way similar to \raggedright.
>
> HTH,
>  Stepan Kasal

I did try it with \hyphenpenalty 10000 and it didn't work. But I
came up with a sneaky solution. I changed \lefthyphenmin to 5.
That cleaned up this particular TOC.  If necessary I can change
it to 10.

Why adjusting \pretolerance doesn't work I don't know. Perhaps if
I make pretolerance very large and tolerance very small it might
work. In any case I have a solution.

Thanks,
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: