[tex-eplain] make \write[numbered]tocentry more abstract about section depth?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Apr 26 21:01:15 CEST 2006

    be more helpful to macro writers if this argument is the actual number
    denoting the section depth

Perhaps so.

Right now, I believe the first argument to \writetocentry cannot be a
number, because it ends up in a control sequence (\tocPARTentry).
Therefore, I surmise we could make a compatible change without
introducing new macros: \writetocentry and friends could try to detect
if the PART arg is a number (is this possible?), and if so, write a
different macro to the .toc file, say:

\tocdepthentry{DEPTH}{TEXT}{PAGENO}

or something like that.  \tocdepthentry could use \ifcase for things
that had to be different depending on the depth.

Oleg, wdyt?

Am I even close?

karl